PH Racing Club put in a excellent performance to win the Scottish Long Coastal Relay event on the Fife Coastal Path on Saturday in a new course record time.  The team of six consisted of Martin Butcher, Ben Hukins, Andy Jannetta and Wright Beveridge, followed by guest runner Alison McGill and Arron Leitch on the final leg.

The race started at midnight on Saturday from Kincardine with the early stages run in darkness.  Changeovers were at North Queensferry (16.8 miles), Dysart (20.8 miles), St. Monans (20.8 miles), St. Andrews (21.8 miles) and Wormit Bay (20.9 miles) with the finish at Newburgh (15.6 miles) for a total distance of 116.5 miles over a mixture of terrain.

First leg runner Martin Butcher led for much of his section before eventually being overhauled by Chris Russell (LLV) and handing over to Ben Hukins with 1:55:52 on the clock.

Ben ran a tremendous leg to Dysart covering the 20 plus miles in a new record time of 2:17:01 to beat the old record by over 24 minutes and open up a substantial gap on the other teams by the time he handed over to Andy Jannetta.

Andrew took on the leg to St. Monans and, though he conceded some time to Carnethy’s Eoin Lennon, he was the second fastest among the eleven teams taking part with a time of 2:45:51.

Wright Beveridge continued his love affair with the Fife Coastal Path, running the longest leg from St. Monans to St. Andrews.  His time of 2:54:34 was also a record for the fourth leg of the event on this its third running.

Next up was Alison McGill of Fife AC who was a last minute replacement for injured team organiser Willie Rennie.  It was fantastic to have the Scottish Marathon Champion running for the club, albeit as a guest, and she did not disappoint covering her leg to Wormit Bay in 2:23:36, the fastest of the day on that leg.

Anchor leg runner Arron Leitch took over with the luxury of a substantial cushion but still put in the second fastest final leg of 2:09:40 to cross the line at Newburgh in an overall course record time of 14:36:34, over an hour ahead of second placed Cartheny.


Well done to all six members of the team and particular thanks must go to Willie Rennie for organising the team, photos and supporting throughout.  Thanks also to organisers Carnethy for putting on a fine event and to Allen Marr for additional photos.